10 Best Toy Boxes & Chests for Kids – 2022 Reviews
As your child grows, their toy collection grows with them. After several birthdays and Christmases, the toy pile gets bigger and bigger, and seeing toys always strewn across your house is incredibly frustrating.
If your child’s toy collection has outgrown their closet or tiny toy bins, it’s time to invest in something more spacious and more practical: a toy chest. This new piece of furniture is not a cheap investment, so make sure you are getting a toy box that will last and is fun for your little one.
- 10 Best Toy Boxes & Toy Chests for Kids (2022)
- 1. KidKraft Espresso Toy Box
- 2. Lego Storage Box Brick
- 3. KidKraft Nantucket Storage Bench
- 4. Humble Crew Toy Storage Organizer with 12 Bins
- 5. Melissa & Doug Wooden Toy Chest
- 6. Step2 2-in-1 Toy Box and Art Lid
- 7. Delta Toy Storage Organizer with 6 Bins
- 8. 3 Sprouts Toy Chest
- 9. Little Tikes Primary Colors Toy Chest
- 10. Delta Children Deluxe Toy Storage Organizer with 9 Bins
- Frequently Asked Questions about Toy Boxes and Chests
- What Should I Look for in a Toy Chest?
- What are the Best Brands for Toy Chests?
- How Long Does a Toy Chest Last?
- For What Age Are Toy Chests Ideal?
- Final Thoughts
10 Best Toy Boxes & Toy Chests for Kids (2022)
Regardless of what you’re looking for, you’ll probably find something you like in the list below!
1. KidKraft Espresso Toy Box
This toy box is the ideal option for parents who want a stylish organizer that matches the existing furniture and helps with the clutter.
This particular model comes in espresso, but other options include white, honey, cherry, black, and natural wood color. However you decorated your child’s room or playroom, this chest is sure to blend in. The arched back and rounded edges add an elegant touch while prioritizing your child’s safety.
The lid of the chest, which doubles as a bench, reaches 16 inches high for easy child access. The back of the chest reaches almost 28 inches, and the length is about 33 inches. These dimensions provide ample storage that is still accessible by your child.
Another great feature is the safety hinge on the lid that prevents slamming and accidental falling on tiny fingers. The only downside is that the color may not be precisely the espresso color, but more of a cherry brown.
- This toy box has a safety feature on the lid that prevents squished fingers.
- The box is a storage container and a fun seat.
- The material is durable MDF wood.
- It has a lacquer finish.
- The color, while called espresso, has a slightly more reddish hue.
2. Lego Storage Box Brick
Toy chests don’t always come in the conventional rectangular shape. If you have a child who loves Legos, these brick boxes are fun to encourage them to organize their toys.
While these Lego boxes are for storing smaller lego pieces, they are large enough to store all different toys. This particular style of box measures 9.8” by 9.8” by 7.28” and has four knobs for stacking.
Just like how regular legos come in various shapes and styles, you can add longer rectangular boxes or small one-knob containers to your child’s organization collection.
The boxes are small enough to fit under the bed or in a corner, but your child can also get them out to play with. These are an excellent option for younger children who aren’t quite ready for tiny lego pieces. Plus, you can make a game out cleaning up their toys.
While these boxes are great fun, you can only buy one box at a time. So, you would have to buy multiple Lego pieces to let your kid stack and play with them. Also, the bottom of the box has small spaces where tiny lego pieces can get stuck. Nevertheless, the reasonable price helps combat these points.
- The boxes come in multiple colors.
- They are stackable and can coordinate with Lego boxes of other sizes.
- The boxes double as a storage container and a toy.
- They are easy to clean.
- Because the blocks are stackable, small Lego pieces can get stuck in the elevated parts of the box’s bottom.
3. KidKraft Nantucket Storage Bench
As another elegant and practical toy chest, this KidKraft chest offers three separate storage areas and a cute bench for your youngster.
Three large drawers accent the simple rectangular shape of the chest with beautiful wainscotting. Additionally, the sturdy wood and pure white color make this chest both a safe and stylish choice.
The chest’s measurements are about 15 inches high and 38 inches long. While this smaller height works great in small spaces, it may be a downside for parents looking for a larger storage option.
A smaller size, though, makes it easier for toddlers to use. The drawers slide out smoothly, and there is a shallow opening at the top of them for easy pulling.
- There are three drawers for more effortless organization.
- The wainscotting on the drawers is a stylish touch.
- The chest serves as a bench as well.
- Young children can easily remove the drawers.
- The small height doesn’t provide excess storage space.
4. Humble Crew Toy Storage Organizer with 12 Bins
If you are looking for a toy box with more storage capabilities and draws your child’s attention, these shelves are a fantastic option.
Unlike the other toy boxes, this organizer has four shelves that fit three open boxes that display the toys. The boxes come in two sizes and four colors: red, blue, green, and yellow. The four larger boxes measure 16 inches by 11.75 inches, while the other eight boxes are 8.25 inches by 11.75 inches.
The vibrant design of the boxes can help your child identify their colors and sort their toys according to color or size. The containers are also easily removed so your kid can play with just a couple of toys at a time.
You can assemble the wooden frame of this organizer easily. However, make sure you have all the screws needed to put it together before you start building.
- The organizer comes with 12 bins in two different sizes for ample storage.
- There are four shelves.
- The open organization style lets children see and organize their toys.
- The design of the boxes helps teach children their colors.
- Some packages don’t come with the appropriate screws to assemble the stand.
5. Melissa & Doug Wooden Toy Chest
For extra storage and a chic toy box, consider this option by the brand Melissa & Doug. This simple yet attractive toy chest is an excellent addition to any child’s room. It comes in gray, white, or blonde.
Like some of the previous options, this chest doubles as a seat for children weighing up to 81 pounds. The lid of the chair also comes with a safety hinge. Both of these features assure you of your child’s safety while using the toy box.
The chest measures 33 inches in length, 24 inches in height (up to the top of the seatback), and 18 inches in depth. This box size provides 4.5 cubic feet of storage for toys of all sizes and makes it easy to handle for your youngster.
Make sure to screw the hinges in securely, though, to prevent the safety feature from failing. However, the Melissa & Doug brand provides a 100% happiness guarantee if anything goes wrong.
- This storage option is both a bench and a toy chest.
- The seat holds up to 81 pounds.
- It has 4.5 cubic feet of storage space.
- The lid has a safety hinge to prevent any accidents.
- The hinges can be difficult to screw into the wood.
6. Step2 2-in-1 Toy Box and Art Lid
For a unique option, consider this toy chest with an interactive lid for your budding artists.
If you have a child that loves coloring on everything – even the walls – why not invest in a piece of furniture that they can actually use for art. You can easily remove the lid of this toy box so it can function as a tray, easel, and an area to display art.
The lid has a clip to display the art and holds the paper while the child draws. There are also shapes and numbers portrayed on the cover to promote early childhood learning. You can use the lid to engage your child in conversation about the shapes and numbers, or they can work on drawing them and then displaying their work.
The bin itself is 20 inches by 19 inches, but the slanted lid takes away some storage space. Also, while the plastic is ideal for a coloring surface, it isn’t as durable as wood. However, the built-in containers to hold art supplies are a definite plus.
- The box is made of durable plastic to survive rough play.
- The lid shows numbers and shapes to promote learning.
- The box lid has a clip to display art projects.
- You can remove the tray for children to work on art in other places.
- The plastic is not as durable as wood.
7. Delta Toy Storage Organizer with 6 Bins
Is your child obsessed with a TV show like PAW Patrol or Mickey Mouse? There’s a perfect toy chest for them! This Delta toy organizer comes in various popular themes, from Toy Story to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, that your child is sure to love.
The wooden structure is 25 inches long and 25 inches high, which is slightly smaller than some other options. However, the small, medium, and large fabric boxes offer secure storage that your little one can manage.
With the fun designs, the kids will want to play with both the boxes and the toys. This engaging toy organizer will help encourage the responsibility to clean up their toys on their own.
While the fabric boxes are easy to handle and ideal for young fingers, they might not last as long as plastic or wood boxes if your child has some sharp toys.
- The organizer has three levels of storage.
- There are three different sizes of boxes for practical storage.
- Choose between twelve popular design options.
- The wooden structure offers security, and the boxes are fabric for effortless handling.
- Since the bins are fabric, they might not last as long as plastic or wooden options.
8. 3 Sprouts Toy Chest
Wooden chests can be worrisome if you have an unruly child that loves climbing on everything and zooming around the room. You don’t want them to accidentally hurt themselves on a splinter or sharp corner. For a softer, more flexible toy box at a very reasonable price, consider 3 Sprouts toy boxes.
This brand offers toy boxes in various sizes, but this is the most spacious option. It measures 24 inches by 15 inches by 14.5 inches. You can choose any one of the 12 animal designs to display on the box. The cute animals are made out of fabric and allow you to match the box to your child’s room design.
3 Sprout toy boxes are easily stackable, so you can buy a couple for maximum storage. However, be careful not to overfill them as the sides can bend.
- The fabric is durable and comes with inserts to help maintain the shape.
- You can choose from many different whimsical animal designs.
- The material ensures that your child won’t get hurt by slamming lids or sharp corners.
- It is incredibly easy to assemble.
- The fabric is slightly flexible and may bend out of shape if your child stuffs too many toys inside.
9. Little Tikes Primary Colors Toy Chest
This vibrant toy box is great for toddlers with a lot of toys and who play a little rough.
Younger children love bright colors, and the blue and red colors draw in their attention immediately. The plastic material will also withstand the banging and drumming of toddler play.
The three storage spaces, this box offers an impressive six cubic feet of storage. The box measures 38 inches by 23 inches by 22 inches, and two smaller slide-out black bins fit nicely under the chest.
The large box is perfect for large toys like diggers or small dollhouses, while the trays are for smaller toys, so they don’t get lost at the bottom of the box.
While the plastic build is suitable for rough play, the detachable lid may be hard to get back in after being taken off so often.
- The chest is also a bench.
- It includes two small bins to store below the chest.
- The vibrant colors encourage play and learning.
- The container offers six cubic feet of storage.
- The plastic lid may come off in rough play.
10. Delta Children Deluxe Toy Storage Organizer with 9 Bins
If you love the shelving organizers but want something less attention-grabbing than the PAW Patrol theme, Delta offers an excellent option. This organizer is very affordable, with multiple subdued colors to fit in with your child’s room aesthetics.
The wooden structure that measures 36 inches by 12 inches by 24 inches is easy to assemble and holds nine fabric bins. There are four small bins, three medium containers, and two large bins. Each one comes in either green, blue, red, or yellow, with the edges lined in another color.
The two large boxes sit directly on the floor, so there is no danger in pulling them on a shelf. Each of the fabric bins offers spacious storage for all different types of toys.
However, like the other fabric options, the bins may not last as long as their plastic counterparts.
- The organizer has a sturdy wooden structure.
- There are nine fabric bins in various colors and sizes.
- The style is easy to use for small children and helps them learn their colors.
- The largest boxes sit on the floor for easy removal.
- The wooden structure is not for adventurous little climbers.
Frequently Asked Questions about Toy Boxes and Chests
Buying any type of furniture is a considerable investment, but when it comes to looking for the perfect toy box, you need to find something that will satisfy both you and your child.
To help make your decision easier, we have answered some of the most common questions parents have when looking for the perfect toy box.
What Should I Look for in a Toy Chest?
First, think about whether this toy box is more for you or your child. If you have a young baby, you might want to find something that fits into your child’s room’s design. Also, if the toy chest isn’t located in your child’s bedroom and is more of an organizational tool for you, pick something that matches your taste in furniture.
Likewise, if your child is old enough to put away their toys on their own and this toy box will be in their room or playroom, look for something they will enjoy.
The design of the box is also something vital to consider. How much room do you have for a toy box? How many toys does your child have? Will you kid enjoy shelves and open boxes or a box and bench combination?
You want the design to be effective, safe, and easy to use. Consider the age of your child and what they are capable of doing and reaching. For example, the shelving options are great for older children who can safely reach and take down boxes.
The structure of a toy box is vital to your child’s safety, especially if you have a climber. The options above are all sturdy, but keep in mind how your child will play handle the box.
A toy chest doesn’t have to be just another box! If you want your child to interact with the box and learn from it, consider its educational value.
The art bin, Lego box, and the other colorful options all provide fantastic learning opportunities. If you want to use the toy box to teach the colors, numbers, or organizational methods, consider one of the more interactive options and make sure to talk with your child while they use it.
What are the Best Brands for Toy Chests?
All of the brands listed above have great reviews, but there are a few that stand above the rest. Little Tykes has been making children’s products for decades, which speaks to its quality.
Likewise, Delta Children and KidKraft have been in business for about 50 years, and they each have a reputation for superior products.
3 Sprouts is a new company, started in 2007, but it has grown phenomenally in popularity over a short time.
Choosing a toy box from any of these brands means buying a product from a reputable and respected company that focuses on children’s products.
How Long Does a Toy Chest Last?
Ideally, you want a toy box to last for years. Since furniture can be expensive, you don’t want to have to buy a new toy box every year.
If your child does not play too roughly with the box, all the above options can hold up for years. The wooden and plastic options will likely last longer than the fabric boxes, but it depends on how loved and used the toy box is.
If you are looking for something to last through multiple children, a wooden or plastic toy chest will likely be the best choice. Nevertheless, if you want something that fits your child’s interests at this moment, fabric boxes are still a fantastic, lasting option.
For What Age Are Toy Chests Ideal?
Many parents get a toy box before their child is even born. These boxes aren’t entirely for the child, but also give the parents peace of mind and a beautiful, clean house.
You can use toy chests for everything from baby toys to teenagers’ video game supplies. If you opt for a simple design and color, the toy box can transition with your child through their stages of life. However, other themed options will not last as long. For example, the PAW Patrol organizer, fabric containers, and art table are specifically for children up to 7 or 8 years old.
Buying furniture is a tough decision, especially when you’re choosing from online options. You may have numerous doubts and concerns about how the toy chest will arrive and if it will look as good as the pictures.
However, these hundreds of parents and their children have enjoyed these ten best toy chests. The respected brands, quality materials, and various colors and themes will satisfy both parents and children.
Consider which things are most important to you, whether that’s style, sturdiness, or color, and use those aspects to choose the perfect toy box for your family. There’s something on this list for every child!