The Best Toys for 10-Year-Old Boys – 2021 Gift Ideas
Your 10-year-old boy is now on the cusp of adolescence. Puberty is just around the corner, and it won’t be long until you have a preteen and then a teenager living in the room where your sweet baby used to live. He is becoming increasingly independent. So, when his birthday rolls around, what are the best toys to get for him?
See Our Picks For The Best Toys For 10-Year-Old Boys in 2021
- T-Rex 3D Walking Wooden Puzzle
- Flybar Velocity Pro Pogo Stick
- Air Hogs RC Helix Stunt Quadcopter
- Electronic Snap Circuits
- Alex Toys Artist Studio Essential Drawing Set
- Big Letter Bananagrams
- 4M Crystal Growing Experiment
- Doinkit Darts Magnetic Dart Board
- Klutz Book of Paper Airplanes Craft Kit
- Wham-O Hamper Hoops
- LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Great Hall Building Kit 75954
- Engino Discovery STEM Newton’s Laws Discovery Kit
- ThinkFun Word A Round Game
- Swurfer: The Original Stand-up Surfing Swing
- Best Toys for 10 Year Old Boys 2021 FAQ
- What Do 10 Year Old Boys Like?
- What Types of Toys Are Developmentally Appropriate for 10 Year Old Boys?
- What Toys Are Safe for 10 Year Old Boys?
- A Final Word
T-Rex 3D Walking Wooden Puzzle
This project poses difficulties for younger children, but your 10-year-old will have a good time working his way through the instructions to build the dinosaur.
- 3D puzzles are a huge jump from regular puzzles in terms of difficulty and engagement.
- Finished product serves as a reward for his hard work.
- In a time when your child might be withdrawing from family engagement, this project provides a chance for bonding.
- Puzzle moves and walks around, activated by sound.
- Children may need some adult assistance to complete.
- Dinosaur doesn’t have great balance and falls over when walking sometimes.
Your 10-year-old should be well-versed in detailed projects and instructions by now. With his skills and patience further developed, he’ll enjoy constructing this fragile and more complicated 3D T-Rex wooden model project. And if he’s into dinosaurs, even better! He’ll be even more thrilled to see his hard work come to life as it moves.
Flybar Velocity Pro Pogo Stick
Whether he’s practicing on his own, getting help from dad, or sharing it with his friends, any 10-year-old will love the challenge and excitement of trying this new form of movement.
Oops! Looks like this toy is sold out.
- Lightweight design makes it easy to transport and use.
- Available in different sizes for different weights and ages.
- Gives kids a unique way to get exercise and go outside.
- Setting goals with the pogo stick leads to excitement in achievements and dedication to get better.
- Pogo sticks are definitely a little difficult for beginners.
At this point, your child has figured out what sports he likes and has already practiced enough to get better. His physical strength is at the best it’s ever been. At this age, he’s also susceptible to be over-exposed to the TV and even video games. The Pro Pogo Stick gives him a new challenge to conquer and gets him moving.
Air Hogs RC Helix Stunt Quadcopter
This well-designed toy is awesome for kids who have grown out of their smaller remote-controlled vehicles and are looking upgrade their skills.
- High quality product—very durable—from a trusted brand in remote-control vehicles.
- Works best outdoors.
- Comes with a charger for continuous fun.
- Does not operate well on windy days.
- Not recommended for indoor use.
- May be difficult for beginners to control.
A major step up from remote-control cars, 10-year-old boys will love the new challenge of a remote-controlled vehicle that flies. The Air Hogs Stunt Quadcopter is an exciting toy that lets him have control of how high, how fast, and what tricks the copter does. It provides hours of fun, and your child will learn new tricks along the way while spending time outside.
Electronic Snap Circuits
With tons of diverse hobbies and skills, 10-year-old boys love to learn how things work.
Oops! Looks like this toy is sold out.
- Simply and easily explains and demonstrates real electric circuits.
- Instructions are detailed and easy to follow.
- Teaches useful skills to kids that will last a lifetime.
- Comes with a free carrying bag.
- Great gift for kids who love LEGOs and science.
- Excellent bonding opportunity for kids and parents, grandparents, etc.
- Only comes with one board, meaning each project has to be taken apart to do a new one.
The Electronic Snap Circuits kit lets your child build over 300 projects with electricity. This set teaches them how to build a radio, a doorbell, and burglar alarm, and much more. If your kid likes to figure things out and is always tinkering with objects or taking things apart, this set is an awesome option.
This unique gift will make your 10-year-old feel like a genius when he discovers he’s able to build circuits that give real results. Not only is he having fun, but he’s learning genuine skills that may help him later in life. This is also excellent for parents involved in the electrical industry who want to pass on some of their skills and knowledge.
Alex Toys Artist Studio Essential Drawing Set
The Alex Artist Studio Essential Drawing Set is a great gift to encourage further development of his artistic capabilities.
- The set comes in a beautiful and practical wooden carrying case.
- It comes complete with all traditional mediums, including sketch sticks, charcoal, and pencils.
- The set includes sketch pads.
- Comes with a total of 58 quality pieces.
- Some types of pencils prove difficult to be sharpened.
You may have noticed by now that your growing boy is developing a strong interest in art and drawing. By this point, he may have even gotten pretty good from doodling in notebooks or on homework.
As a budding artist, your 10-year-old will fall in love with the professional-like tools and equipment this set provides. With so many options, this set will not go to waste if your young boy loves to draw. Broaden his artistic knowledge by letting him explore various medium and create new masterpieces. This toy gives him all the tools he needs to learn and explore different tools.
Big Letter Bananagrams
Bananagrams is a great way for your son, grandson, nephew, etc. to learn and have fun with his family and friends.
- Larger, clearer letters make it easy for kids to hold, see, and read.
- Promotes intensive thinking in spelling and words.
- The game can be played with several players for maximum fun.
- Larger letters are also good for grandparents so that they can enjoy quality time with their grandchildren.
- May be difficult for those who have trouble with spelling and reading.
Get the whole family together with this gift. Growing boys will love that they’re able to keep up with older siblings and parents, and their knowledge of words, spelling, and reading will improve every time they play—especially if they get a little help from the older ones!
Now that your growing boy has developed his skills in reading and writing, his world is open to a wider variety of games and activities.
4M Crystal Growing Experiment
- Complete crystal growing kit
- Exciting visual science lesson
- Includes display domes
- Includes seven growing experiments
- Materials are toxic (if ingested)
- Only contains enough materials for seven experiments
By the age of nine, many boys have an interest in science and the intellectual capacity to learn about more complicated subjects. This crystal growing kit is great for kids interested in STEM subjects, especially geology and chemistry.
The kit includes everything you need – growing compounds and mixtures, detailed instructions, seven display domes, and stirrers. Seven different crystal growing experiments are available. While the experiments are safe and simple enough for a child to do on his own, they’re also a great family activity.
Crystals form in a variety of bright and bold colors. They’re fully grown in seven to 10 days and will last for years with correct storage. Instead of simply reading about scientific principles related to crystals, kids can see them in action.
Doinkit Darts Magnetic Dart Board
- Complete dart kit for two players
- Magnetized tips safe for people and walls
- Stylish “barroom” look
- Limited to two players
These magnetic darts have all the fun of traditional darts but with none of the safety risks, making them a great choice for 10-year-old boys. Instead of a pointed tip, the darts use balanced neodymium magnets to stick to the board. The set includes a 16-inch magnetized dart board and six darts (three of two colors each).
Kids will love the authentic style. Faux cracks give the board a cool, slightly-weathered look. A hook allows you to hang the board just about anywhere. The magnetic darts won’t damage walls or other indoor surfaces.
Darts are fun for the whole family. The games help kids learn about sportsmanship. Plus, manipulating and throwing the darts helps kids this age develop hand/eye coordination, fine motor skills and more.
Klutz Book of Paper Airplanes Craft Kit
- Detailed plans for ten paper airplanes
- Includes 40 sheets of patterned paper
- Instructions are kid-friendly
- Many designs are available online for free
Paper airplanes are a timeless classic. Your 10-year-old has probably already made a paper airplane or two – but this crafting kit takes them to all new heights. The book provides detailed, easy-to-follow instructions for creating super-cool planes which go fast, soar far and perform stunts.
Aside from 56 pages of instructions, the book also includes 40 sheets of special airplane-making paper. A variety of patterns are available so kids can make unique planes. Plans for ten different paper airplanes are included.
Wham-O Hamper Hoops
- Makes chores fun
- Helps kids keep their room and clothes clean
- Durable construction prevents damage from rough play
- Fits securely over any standard door
- Works best for socks and shirts
Help your ten-year-old up their cleaning game with this basketball hoop, net, and backboard for their laundry hamper. Chores have never been more fun. Kids ball up their dirty clothes and shoot them into the hamper. When the bag’s full, simply unzip it from the hoop and carry it to the laundry room.
A simple over-the-door design allows the hoop to fit over just about any inside door. It’s made from plastic, stainless steel, and polyester. The backboard is 15 inches wide by 10 inches high while the hoop has a diameter of 11.5 inches. The laundry bag is 24 inches long and 16 inches wide. It holds as much laundry as a standard hamper.
LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Great Hall Building Kit 75954
By ten, your child is probably finding some identity in things they like, and if Harry Potter is one of those things, this LEGO kit will be a hit.
- Collectible item that kids can display for years to come
- Works with any other classic LEGO and LEGO Harry Potter kits
- Contains ten mini-figures
- Comes with lots of exciting extras like wands and a sorting hat
- Intense kit if a child isn’t familiar with LEGO yet
- Lots of small pieces that can get lost
The Great Hall building kit comes with ten mini-figures, including Harry, Ron, Hermione, and more. Kids can build the whole hall and then play with the mini-figures, or they can use this as part of a display in their rooms.
The kit is difficult compared to other LEGO kits, so you’ll want to ensure your child knows LEGO and is motivated to complete the set before you buy it.
Engino Discovery STEM Newton’s Laws Discovery Kit
Finding a toy that brings science to life in an exciting way can be tough, but this kit by Engino is an excellent option.
- Includes kits for eight different working models
- Step-by-step illustrated instructions
- Kids can use Engino website or app for building help and play ideas
- One of many STEM-related kits by Engino so your kid can collect them all
- Only enough resources to build models one at a time
- Physical instructions don’t include all eight models; you’ll need to go online or use the app for the rest
The kit includes parts for a total of eight working models, each of which demonstrates at least one of Newton’s Laws. You can only build one model at a time, which is a bummer, but the building and taking apart is part of the fun.
The instructions are engaging and easy to use, so even if your child isn’t thrilled with science yet, they can build these models and potentially find some interest there.
ThinkFun Word A Round Game
This game has won several awards for language advancement, best toy, and more.
- Helps develop speech and critical thinking skills
- Builds vocabulary
- Award-winning game
- Clear instructions and easy to play
- May not remain a challenge for kids who play regularly
- Challenging for kids without a solid 3rd to 4th-grade vocabulary
Word A Round is a game that speech pathologists love because it helps to build language skills in a way that most games can’t. The instructions are clear, and the gameplay goes smoothly as long as kids have a decent vocabulary to start.
Swurfer: The Original Stand-up Surfing Swing
The swing comes with adjustable handles and UV protected ropes to keep them looking and feeling good for years to come.
- Adjustable handles
- Easy to install and use for kids and adults
- Improves core strength, balance, and arm muscles
- Supports up to 200lbs
- Gets kids outside and active
- No grip tape on the board
- Included rope may not be long enough for taller branches
Getting your ten-year-old outside can be tough in an age of video games and electronics, but the Swurfer swing is an excellent toy to get kids outdoors again. The Swurfer helps kids develop physically by improving core strength and balance. It’s a fun way that they can play by themselves or take turns with friends.
Best Toys for 10 Year Old Boys 2021 FAQ
While they are still figuring out life—what they like and don’t like—it’s very possible that you’ve noticed certain hobbies start to stand out from others in your 10-year-old boy. At this point, it’s important to recognize the things they love and the things they’re good at. It is possible that what they focus on now will continue further in their life, and possibly their career.
What Do 10 Year Old Boys Like?
10-year-old boys are very active and love to be doing things—as they should. They should really be active for at least 1 hour each day. They are also growing in curiosity, meaning they’ll probably be asking a lot of questions. Their creativity may also develop further, and they’ll start to aim that at their desired hobbies.
He also loves his friends. While he definitely still needs his parents, his friendships with classmates and teammates will be growing stronger and stronger. He will most likely experience peer pressure, and he might start to be okay with girls again.
Since his social skills are ever developing, you may start to see a decrease in activities like fantasy play and make-believe. At this point, his loyalties to his friends, teams, and clubs will become more important. He’ll be leaving make-believe behind for good and will focus on the real things in his life.
Unfortunately, being a 10-year-old means that puberty isn’t too far off. Your growing boy may already start to see signs of this through mood swings and sensitivity. He may not get along with you at all times, and he may be more conscious of what other people think of him.
What Types of Toys Are Developmentally Appropriate for 10 Year Old Boys?
At the age of 10, it is usually best to pay attention to his specific likes and needs than to look for general ones. As his personality develops, he may not like things that he used to. He may think his old toys are too babyish, and he’ll want to play with whatever his closest friends play with. He will also develop his own personal hobbies that he likes to do on his own. He may enjoy sports with his friends, but maybe when he’s alone in his room, he likes to work on his sketching skills.
Some good toy ideas for 10-year-olds include:
- Outdoor Equipment
- Electronics and Video Games
- Card and Board Games
- Hobby-Centered Kits and Activities
- Group and Social Games
While your boy will probably maintain a closer relationship with his guy friends, don’t be surprised if he seems more open to befriending girls. With puberty right around the corner, those friendships may soon develop further.
He is physically getting stronger every day and improving his skills in sports. Since his skills are getting better, he’ll likely become more competitive. It’s important to instill a sense of good sportsmanship at this age.
Key developmental milestones around this age are:
- Physical development: He has good control of both gross and fine motor skills. He is more coordinated and has increased strength, endurance, and balance. He has better hand-eye coordination and can focus on heightening basic skills, like athletics. Sufficient amounts of physical and outdoor activity are important during this time to maintain healthy lifestyles and weights.
- Speech development: With almost adult-level skills, your 10-year-old will be able to thoroughly communicate with you on an understanding level. He can comprehend your complex sentence and work through tougher words while forming his own intelligent responses and ideas.
Your child has been able to grasp more complex ideas for some time now, and now he’s starting to weed them out and master ones of his choice. Pay close attention to him to see what his specific needs and passions are.
What Toys Are Safe for 10 Year Old Boys?
In a world of peer pressure, there are bound to be dangers that come with raising a 10-year-old boy. He’s strong and capable of doing things on his own now, but it may be easy for him to become arrogant or to think he can do whatever his friends do, even if he’s never tried. It’s important to discuss these dangers with your child and make sure he knows he can say no whenever he feels unsafe or unprepared.
While your growing 10-year-old inevitably becomes more active, it’s important to make sure you’re buying the best quality and safest equipment and athletic items for him. Make sure all bikes are safety approved and that he’s wearing a helmet.
Check reviews on skateboards and stay in the know on all his sporting equipment. It might be cheaper to use hand-me-downs but be sure that they’re in working condition. You may want to buy your child a new bike, but make sure he’s getting the right size, weight, and style for his size and age. In the same way, sporting equipment should always fit properly.
A Final Word
As your little boy grows up and hits his double-digits, it can be tough to keep up. The best thing to do is communicate with him and pay attention. He’ll do a pretty good job of letting you know what he wants, and in the meantime, you’ll do a good job of getting him what he needs.