The Best Toys for 9 Year Old Boys – 2019 Gift Ideas & FAQ
Your 9-year-old boy is at a stage where he’s going to get a lot done. At this stage in his life, he’s learning constantly and understanding more than he ever has.
At 9, you can expect him to be seeking approval, knowing right from wrong, and understanding rules. This can mean more interest in organized sports, board games, and reading. If done properly, you can help them thrive through this growing up experience with some great toys!
LEGO Star Wars Millennium Falcon
Assembling this LEGO set will be a huge accomplishment for your 9-year-old.
- Detailed instructions serve as a learning opportunity for follow directions and not rushing.
- Smaller pieces promote a high level of focus in order to complete a task.
- Your child will feel a sense of self-confidence and accomplishment when they complete it.
- Children may need some adult assistance to complete, depending on the child.
The fun part about having a 9-year-old in your life is that he’s finally ready to tackle bigger projects that have smaller details. He’s ready to move on from jumbo blocks to somewhat more intense building activities. LEGO Star Wars Millennium Falcon not only features some of his favorite characters, but it sets a goal for him to accomplish.
Assembling this LEGO set will be a huge accomplishment for your 9-year-old. After following all the instructions, he’ll be able to first be proud of himself for building such a cool toy, then second be able to play with it.
Kids Walkie Talkies
These Kids Walkie Talkies are a great way to help promote those friendships with a fun way to communicate while playing games and running around!
- Promotes trust and communication in friendships.
- Comes with two so kids can share and play together.
- They work within a range of three miles, giving kids plenty of space.
- High quality products allow them to be durable and withstand drops.
- The Walkie Talkies require batteries that do not come with the set.
- Batteries die fast.
You’ll probably notice that your 9-year-old is developing his own friend group. When kids are younger, they tend to all play together without noticing much of a difference between any of them. However, as they get older and develop their personalities, friendships blossom. These Kids Walkie Talkies are a great way to help promote those friendships with a fun way to communicate while playing games and running around!
This gift is great for parents, too. When he’s not using this with his friends, keep one by your side so he can talk to you from anywhere in the house or yard. Dinner’s ready? He’ll think it’s so cool that you don’t have to get him from outside—you can radio him in!
The Dangerous Book for Boys
The book covers everything from treehouse building and fishing to making paper airplanes and figuring out girls.
- The book is very insightful with great lessons that are also fun.
- Includes lessons on how to earn merit badges as a scout.
- Reading helps to further develop cognitive skills.
- Teaches useful skills and facts with good moral incentives.
- Reading level has been said to be a little higher than the recommended age—best to buy for advanced readers, or to read with your 9-year-old.
You may find that your 9-year-old has developed a greater interest in reading. Since they’ve learned a lot up to this point regarding language, reading becomes much less frustrating and is great for imaginations. The Dangerous Book for Boys not only allows your reader to flourish, but it’s full of essential boyhood skills.
This well-written general guide for boys will surely spark your 9-year-old’s interests, especially since they are constantly changing at this age. This book will teach him a variety of skills and lessons that will stay with him throughout his life. You’ll get bonus points for this if he’s a boy scout, but even those who aren’t will enjoy all this book has to offer.
Outdoor Exploration Set
The 6-in-1 Outdoor Exploration Set will tap into your young boy’s inner explorer.
- Promotes outdoor activities.
- Includes binoculars, a whistle, a flashlight, a compass, and a magnifying glass.
- The flashlight is rechargeable and doesn’t require batteries.
- Everything comes with a convenient drawstring backpack for easy storage and carrying.
- Items are lightweight and easy for kids to use while still being functional.
- Original packaging isn’t very appealing to kids—many people unpack if it’s a gift and put everything in the backpack to be more presentable.
9-year-old boys are always on the move, and that’s a good thing! While his curiosity and awareness of the world around him is growing, he’ll love having the tools necessary to learn more about it.
The variety and versatility of this gift will certainly be a hit with your 9-year-old. He’ll love going on adventures with his friends to use his new tools, and having his own set of exploration equipment will make him feel grown-up and responsible.
Kid Galaxy Amphibious RC Car
If you’re looking for a great way to combine electronics with the great outdoors, this is your chance.
- The vehicle is fully functional and comes with a remote control.
- It works on all terrain type.
- Has a long battery life.
- It’s been described as slower in the water.
The Amphibious RC Car is an all-terrain remote-control toy that operates through water, dirt, mud, sand, pavement, and grass—basically, he can use it anywhere! Its waterproof design allows your young boy to take it through puddles, to the beach, and even in the bathtub.
9-year-olds who dream of driving fast will love the control they get when they operate this car. The freedom of all-terrain lets them go as they please with no limits. It will get them outside and moving around.
National Geographic Break Open 4 Geodes Kit
9-year-old boys will be amazed at what they find when they use science to open these rocks.
- Scientific exploration and experimentation will be like a treasure hunt for your kid.
- Promotes an appreciation of nature and geology.
- National Geographic provides only the highest quality in their products.
- Kids can discover and keep beautiful and amazing crystals.
- Geodes are real and sourced from mines around the world.
- Set only includes one display stand for four geodes.
- Rocks can be difficult to break open; parental help may be required.
During this time in life, 9-year-old boys are discovering what they love. Since they are still figuring out what’s out there for them, their interests may be many and various. National Geographic’s Break Open 4 Geodes Kit is a great way for them to explore their scientific interests.
9-year-old boys will be amazed at what they find when they use science to open these rocks. When they do so, they’ll get to display the reward for their effort right in their own bedroom.
Awesome Jokes Every Kid Should Know
- Contains hundreds of jokes
- All jokes are clean and age-appropriate
- Promotes independent readings
- Helps develop self-confidence
- Joke quality varies significantly
What’s the best way to buy wallpaper online? Just cut and paste! While that might not be the best joke you’ve ever heard, nine-year-old boys love it. This joke book is packed with hundreds of jokes and tongue twisters.
All of the jokes are squeaky clean and age-appropriate. It features both classic jokes and hilarious originals. Jokes cover a wide range of subjects.
Joke books encourage independent reading. Plus, they help encourage self-confidence. They can repeat the jokes to peers and be the star of the playground.
- Versatile electronic kit with over 50 different projects
- The detailed 48-page instruction book is packed with kid-friendly info
- Includes a wide range of modules and electronics gear
- Provides a deep introduction to electrical engineering
- Wires can have a loose fit
Make connections with the Smart Circuits Electronics Lab. The kit lets kids explore the world of electronics by creating working games and gadgets. Kids can create an electronic drum kit, motion-sensor alarm, quiz show game and more.
The set includes six baseboards, a microprocessor, tricolor LED module, speaker module, 31 jumper wires, two push-button modules and more.
The 48-page instruction book provides clear, step-by-step instructions for 50 different projects. Plus, they can create unique creations, too. The lessons introduce kids to the basics of electrical engineering, lights, and sounds.
Laser Tag Set from Play22
- Encourages active group play
- Includes four guns and chest plates
- Allows up to four teams to play together
- Large games require multiple sets
Pew! Pew! Pew! Laser tag is enjoying a huge boost in popularity lately, and it’s easy to see why. Laser tag provides great exercise, helps develop gross motor skills and promotes teamwork.
This kit from Play22 has everything you need for a full day of fun. It includes four guns and chest plates. Each gun and plate combo is a different color. Up to four teams of people can play together, and the plates will keep track of hits accordingly.
The guns toggle between four different types. The pistol holds 12 “bullets” and reduces opponent health by one point. The shotgun and machine gun both have six shots but reduce health by two points. Finally, the rocket launcher fires a single shot which takes away three points.
Chain Reactions Craft Kit from LEGO and Klutz
- Lets kids create funny, odd machines
- Introduces STEM concepts related to engineering and motion
- Includes 33 LEGO bricks, additional gear, and detailed instructions
- Many moving pieces
- Some machines are more interesting than others
It’s LEGO with a fun and chaotic twist. Kids use their ordinary LEGO bricks as the foundation for ten different Rube-Goldberg-like machines. They can build contraptions which ring a bell, toss a gum wrapper into a garbage can or complete a variety of other small tasks.
The kit includes 33 LEGO pieces, ten modules, six plastic balls, string, paper ramps and more. The 80-page instruction book, created by Klutz, provides clear building instructions. It also works with other LEGO bricks.
The point isn’t to create useful machines. Instead, building these goofy devices helps kids learn about engineering, physics, and cause and effect. Kids will have a blast building and using these unique moving machines.
Best Toys for 9 Year Old Boys FAQ
9-year-old boys are finding their way in the world. They are constantly changing their minds, learning new skills, and adding to their list of hobbies. While it can be hard to keep up, it’s important to remember that the toys you gift to them play a significant role in their development.
What Do 9 Year Old Boys Like?
According to WebMD, a 9-year-old will start to show signs of independence. While your growing boy will still need you and look to you for help, you’ll notice that they care more about their own hobbies and developing friendships. 9-year-old boys like to spend time with friends more, as their social skills are much stronger.
At this age, it is very common for boys and girls to split up. It would not be unusual for your 9-year-old boy to announce a dislike of girls. While this doesn’t always happen, it’s still very common.
With a longer attention span, your growing boy will develop more sophisticated hobbies, likes, and dislikes. He’ll be able to comprehend and focus on more complex games and sports, and he may be more interested in reading and learning about specific topics.
It can be hard to nail down exactly what a boy at the age of 9 likes because it’s likely that he’ll change his mind all the time. As he becomes more aware of his surroundings and discovers new activities, he’ll likely want to try them all. He’ll also want to do what his friends are doing due to his social development.
What Types of Toys Are Developmentally Appropriate for 9-Year-Old Boys?
It is important to keep your options open around this age. Your 9-year-old boy may be into soccer for a while, but suddenly his best friends are all joining the peewee football league, and now he wants to join. He may see something on TV that peaks his interest in science, or perhaps he wants to pick out a new book. He is realizing that there is so much in this world, and he’s going to want to try everything to figure out what he likes.
Some good toy ideas for 9-year-olds include:
- Outdoor Equipment and Sporting Gear
- Complex Board Games
- Hands-on Learning Activities
- Books and Reading
- Group and Social Games
At this point, it’s easy to see the boy-girl separation. While that’s not always the case, you’ll often see that even co-ed sports teams start to split up around this age. That’s because boys and girls are beginning to develop differently physically.
Key developmental milestones around this age are:
- Physical development: at this age, physical growth between girls and boys starts to differ as some kids hit early puberty. Girls tend to experience growth spurts first, while boys will follow in later years. Sufficient amounts of physical and outdoor activity are important during this time to maintain healthy lifestyles and weights.
- Speech development: at nine years old, his speech level is almost at the level of adults. He has an extensive vocabulary, he can form complicated sentences with a variety of words, and he can understand your words better. While you may have already started introducing more complicated activities and toys, now is when your child will truly start to grasp and develop these concepts further. He’ll want to try more new things and won’t be afraid of the unknown.
What Toys Are Safe for 9-Year-Old Boys?
Physically, your 9-year-old has continued to grow in size and strength. While he won’t be hitting his big growth spurt just yet, he has probably already figured out if he is good at sports or not. If he’s interested in sports like soccer, football, baseball, etc. it’s important to make sure he’s staying healthy and safe during these activities. Proper equipment is vital, and a balanced diet will help to make sure he’s keeping up with his peers.
During this time of growing up and independence, it may not be uncommon for your 9-year-old to think he can do it all. While he’s grown quite a bit, he still may not be ready to use the big steak knife at dinner, and he certainly shouldn’t be operating any heavy equipment on his own.
Your boy is going to want to climb things and jump off of them. He’ll want to ride his bike down big hills and go on exciting adventures. He’s physically capable of these things, but safety is still important as he may overestimate his skills or underestimate the task.
This is especially true if he’s with friends. Forms of peer pressure come into play at this age. His friends may try to persuade him to do things he’s not quite ready for, and they could result in him getting hurt. In order to promote safety and well-being, it’s important to discuss issues of peer pressure with your son.
Raising a 9-year-old boy is certainly an adventure. It can be worrisome at times and exciting at others. He’s going to want to do it all, and the best thing you can do is support him and give him the knowledge and tools he needs to stay safe, healthy, and happy!