What Are The Best Art Easels for Kids? – 2021 Reviews
Kids need regular access to art for healthy development. Unfortunately, art can be messy. An easel is a great way to foster a young one’s interest in the arts while also helping to prevent paint spills and other mishaps.
Kids need an easel built just for them. Looking for an easel but not sure where to start? We’ve drawn up a list of the top easels for kids in 2021. Plus, our complete buyer’s guide will help you find the perfect easel for your little Picasso.
Compare: 2021’s Best Art Easels for Kids
- 1. 3-in-1 Tabletop Art Easel from Discovery Kids
- 2. Step2 Easel for Two
- 3. Wooden Art Easel for Kids from Top Bright
- 4. Melissa & Doug Deluxe Wooden Standing Art Easel
- 5. Crayola Kids Wooden Easel
- 6. Hape All-in-One Wooden Kid’s Art Easel
- 7. U.S. Art Supply Children’s Double-Sided Art Activity
- 8. Elk & Bear Double-Sided Easel
- 9. Little Partners Deluxe Art Easel
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What are Easels for Kids?
- What Features Should a Kid’s Easel Have?
- What are the Benefits of Arts for Kids?
- Are Easels Safe?
- All in All
1. 3-in-1 Tabletop Art Easel from Discovery Kids
Creativity has no limit with this combination dry erase board, chalkboard and painting easel.
- Easel, chalkboard and dry erase board in one
- Folds down for quick and easy storage
- Great for kids with a variety of artistic interests
- Wooden legs can be fragile
- Does not include art supplies (dry eraser only)
It’s three times the fun of a regular easel. This three-in-one easel has a painting easel, chalkboard and dry erase board. It also includes a paper roll, oversized clips, and dry eraser.
The 16 by 20-inch frame folds down for compact storage. It can be stored under a bed or in other small spaces. The included box also doubles as a storage container.
It’s a great easel for the young artist who loves many different mediums. Kids can draw, paint, write and more.
2. Step2 Easel for Two
Large and durable, the easel has a magnetic dry erase board on one side and a chalkboard on the other.
- Combination chalkboard and magnetic dry erase board
- Folds flat for easy, simple storage when not in use
- Durable construction includes bins for art supplies
- Includes 94-piece
- Legs aren’t adjustable
- Chalkboard can be difficult to wipe clean
Double the sides, double the fun! Step2’s Easel for Two features a chalkboard on one side and a magnetic dry erase board on the other. It also has bins and a deep tray to hold art supplies.
The dry erase board includes 77 foam-covered magnetic letters, numbers and signs. It’s a fun teaching tool for kids learning to read and write. Recommended for kids between the ages of three and eight.
3. Wooden Art Easel for Kids from Top Bright
Adjustable easel with chalkboard, drawing area and dry erase board. It’s one of the few easels two kids can use at the same time.
- Kid-friendly easel has a chalkboard, dry erase board and drawing space
- Adjusts in height from 38 to 44 inches
- Construction features no-pinch joins, non-slip feet and more
- Minor assembly required
- Non-slip feet fall off fairly easily
Art is more fun with a friend. Top Bright’s wooden easel has enough space for two kids to use the easel at the same time. Many double easels tend to wobble and move if kids are drawing on both sides simultaneously, but this easel’s durable build allows two to play together.
The easel can be adjusted between 38 and 44 inches. It features an anti-pinch design, non-slip feet, and other kid-friendly construction. It’s recommended for kids two and older.
Craft paper attaches to the easel with the included clip. Remove the paper to reveal the dry erase board. The other side holds the chalkboard. Aside from the easel, the set includes an eraser, roll of paper, chalk, whiteboard pen and chalk.
4. Melissa & Doug Deluxe Wooden Standing Art Easel
Add a custom name to this colorful, high-quality wooden easel from Melissa & Doug.
- Detailed, sturdy wooden construction
- Includes dry erase board, chalkboard and drawing area
- Adjustable height
- Designed for kids between four and 10
- Art supplies not included
- Assembly can be tricky
Melissa & Doug are some of the biggest names in kid’s products, so it’s no surprise they offer a standing easel set. It’s the same high-quality you expect from the brand. Their wooden standing easel includes a dry erase board, chalkboard, locking Paper-Roll holder, paper cutter (child-safe), four clips and two plastic trays.
The sturdy wooden frame keeps the easel steady even when two kids play on both sides at the same time. Plus, you can customize the bottom of the chalkboard with a personal message or name.
It’s recommended for kids between the ages of four and 10. The height is adjustable so the easel can grow with the child over the years.
5. Crayola Kids Wooden Easel
A double-sided easel from Crayola lets kids color, draw, write and more.
- Double-side easel with chalkboard and dry erase board
- Includes tray and storage space for art supplies
- Includes paper roll, three paint pots and plastic clips for paper
- Quality wood and plastic construction
- Legs are thin
- Art supplies not included
Crayola knows art supplies. Their double-sided easel has a chalkboard, a dry erase board and clips for holding paper. It also includes a paper roll, three paint pots, and plastic clips. For best results, they recommend Crayola anti-dust white chalk.
A tray underneath the easel holds paint pots and other supplies. The easel is made from wood and non-toxic plastic. It’s recommended for kids four and older.
Do you have magnetic letters? The dry erase board is magnetized for another fun play option. It’s a great teaching tool for kids learning to read and write.
6. Hape All-in-One Wooden Kid’s Art Easel
Although smaller than the others on the list, Hape’s All-in-One Wooden Kid’s Easel is packed with features.
- Three-in-one blackboard, chalkboard and dry erase board
- Height adjusts from 37.5 to 43.5 inches
- Designed for kids three and up
- Better suited for smaller, younger kids
- Small surface area
Winner of the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Seal Award from 2014, Hape’s wooden easel features a blackboard, magnetized whiteboard, and chalkboard. Also includes three paint pots and replaceable paper roll. The height is adjustable from 37.5 to 43.5 inches.
Only 15-inch paper rolls will fit onto the easel. The standard paper size is 18 inches for most easels, but that’ll be too big here. Hape’s easel is a bit smaller than many others, which is great for small spaces but does limit the surface area for art.
7. U.S. Art Supply Children’s Double-Sided Art Activity
U.S. Art Supply’s double-sided art activity easel features a chalkboard, paper roll, dry erase board and a wide selection of storage spaces.
- Packed with extra-large storage bins (18 x 11 x 6)
- Double-sided easel with chalkboard and dry erase board
- Includes two trays and six no-spill cups
- Lightweight, sturdy frame
- Lightweight wood can be fragile
An art easel is only useful if art supplies are easy to reach. U.S. Art Supply’s easel includes two extra-large storage bins, two trays, and six no-spill cups. You have no problem storing brushes, pencils, paints, water and more.
It’s a double-sided easel with chalkboard and a dry erase board. As with many easels, a clip is used to attach an 18-inch paper roll for drawing and painting.
The frame is made from sturdy, lightweight pine. It’s adjustable from 46 to 54 inches, making this a good choice for older or taller kids. Each writing surface is 23 inches square (each side is 25 inches, so there is some unused space).
8. Elk & Bear Double-Sided Easel
Get them painting early with this double-sided magnetic whiteboard and painting easel specifically designed for small kids and toddlers.
- High-quality easel safe for younger kids
- Features a whiteboard, chalkboard, and drawing paper
- Lightweight wood is sturdy but won’t cause injury
- Includes magnetic wooden alphabet and letter set
- Too small for older kids
- Plastic packaging film can be difficult to remove
Elk & Bear’s double-sided early is a great choice for kids as young as three, four or five. It’s the perfect height for toddlers.
It’s a two-sided easel with both a dry erase whiteboard and a chalkboard. The whiteboard is magnetic. A magnetic wooden alphabet and number set is also included.
The easel is unlikely to cause any harm even if it accidentally falls over. It’s made from sturdy wood with no plastic components. No assembly is required. When not in use, you can fold it down and carry it with the built-in handle.
9. Little Partners Deluxe Art Easel
A sleek, stylish kid’s easel with a chalkboard and magnetic dry erase board.
- Modern-looking and stylish
- Features chalkboard and dry erase board
- Includes two fabric storage bins
- Dark coloring isn’t very cheerful for a little kid’s room
The style of this Deluxe Art Easel from Little Partners sure stands out from the crowds. Instead of natural wood and plastic, it’s made from pine painted a modern-looking black and dark gray.
The easel includes a chalkboard, magnetic dry-erase board and a place to hang a roll of 17.5″ standard paper. Two fabric bins and a collection of storage shelves hold a large number of supplies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Easels for Kids?
Almost every kid loves to draw and paint – and easels for kids are a great way to develop budding artistic talent.
While there’s nothing wrong with clearing some table space for your child’s artistic endeavors, an easel has several advantages over a flat surface:
- Helps prevent spills which can overtake a table
- Allows for safe, easy storage of art supplies
- Gives the artist a more accurate perspective while working
- Makes kids feel like serious artists
What Features Should a Kid’s Easel Have?
Easels aren’t terribly complicated, but there are a few key features to consider:
First, make sure the easel is safe. It should be sturdy enough to sit without wobbling. Check the legs for non-slip foot pads. They’ll help the easel stand steady even on wood, tile or other potentially slippery surfaces.
The easel should be heavy enough to stay in one place. However, it should also be light enough not to cause injury if it ever collapses or falls. Most kid-friendly easels are made from lightweight wood and non-toxic plastic.
Ideally, you’ll be able to leave your child’s easel set up at all times so they always have an art area where they can play. But space around the house can certainly be limited. Consider the easel’s storability.
Most easels for kids fold down for easy storage. They’re usually thin enough to store under a bed or in a closet. Setup and takedown are usually simple – there’s often just a latch inside the frame — but might require an adult if the child is young.
Almost all kid’s easels will have three sections:
- Drawing area
Typically, the chalkboard and the whiteboard will be on each side of an A-frame. A clip is used to attach paper on top of the whiteboard for drawing or painting.
Easels will typically have a storage tray underneath the whiteboard. It’s a space to keep pencils, brushes and paint cups. Typically, cups fit halfway into pre-cut holes in the tray.
Both dry erase boards and chalkboard are designed to be used again and again. Most easels with a dry erase board will also include a dry eraser. Be sure to erase the board relatively soon after each use. The marker can leave behind permanent marks if allowed to dry overnight.
You’ll also want to buy dust-free chalk. Otherwise, chalk dust is likely to get everywhere. Dust isn’t particularly noticeable in a large space like a classroom but can be very annoying in small spaces.
What are the Benefits of Arts for Kids?
The benefits of art for kids are extensive and far-reaching. Kids who regularly paint, draw and otherwise engage with visual arts see an increase in:
- Small motor control
- Visual learning
- Hand-eye coordination
- Creative development
- Emotional development
Another major benefit of an easel is it makes creating easy, especially if it’s set up all the time. Instead of having to pull supplies out of a closet, the child can walk over the easel where everything is ready. Art involves a fair amount of supplies. Long setup times can be a barrier to artistic play, especially with younger kids.
Plus, easels tell kids it’s okay to paint and draw. They’re not “making a mess” by taking over the kitchen table. Instead, they have their own space dedicated solely to art.
Are Easels Safe?
Generally, easels are safe. The biggest potential risk is pinched fingers when setting up or taking down the easel. Consider an easel with pinch-free joints. They can protect little fingers.
Your house is probably at a bigger risk of damage than your child. Spilled paint and other art supplies can ruin walls and floors. Set up a rug, plastic tarp, cloth or some else to catch spills and wayward drips.
All in All
Art helps children develop physically, mentally and emotionally. An easel allows them to explore their artistic side without worrying about making a mess. A child with their own easel is more likely to paint, draw and otherwise create.
Help your child draw a bright future with a kid-friendly easel and art supplies!